A rich array of activities
MFS Afterschool programs are an extension of the small, intimate community that makes our school so special. Whether enjoying free play or joining one of our enriching afterschool classes, children benefit from a safe, structured environment and the opportunity to learn and play with kids across different age levels.
By the time 3 o’clock comes around, the Preschool students have had a very busy day. What’s most important is that the children enjoy the last part of their day and go home feeling satisfied with the interpersonal experiences they’ve had.
The Early Childhood Education Afterschool Program is designed to support their daily curriculum and enrich their cognitive, emotional, social, physical, and language skills. Time spent in afterschool is time for playing, problem-solving in a social context, bonding, discovering new friendships, cherishing the company of others, indulging the imagination, creating art, talking, laughing, eating and… learning Spanish!
Optional Afterschool classes are available for additional fees and range from movement and yoga to art and science. These classes are taught in series, with the topic for each changing throughout the year. They are taught by a Montessori-trained science teacher who uses the Lawrence Hall of Science curriculum. Fun weekly projects focused on physical science, observing, comparing, and acquiring new vocabulary.
• 3:00pm - 3:30pm – Circle time (includes games, skits, stories).
• 3:30pm - 3:45pm – Finishing lunches and having snack.
• 3:45pm - 6:00pm – Art projects, learning-focused cultural units (chosen based on student interest), as well as freeplay and outside playtime.
• 5:45pm - 6:00pm – Cleaning up, final snack, and storytime.
• 6:00pm – School is closed. All children must be picked up by this time.
Elementary and Middle Schools
At the Elementary and Middle School Campus, the Afterschool Program is designed to provide a safe, nurturing, and fun environment for children to end their school day. MFS students work very hard throughout the day, so the focus in Afterschool is on productive social playtime.
Students have many play options, from art projects to sand box play, to sports, gardening, and solitary reading time. Activities are almost always student-initiated and optional.
Afterschool care can be purchased in advance for a low annual rate, or used on an hourly, drop-in basis with no sign-up required.
On Mondays, Homework Club meets from 4:30pm – 5:30pm. During Homework club, students can get a head start on their weekly homework assignments. Afterschool teachers can provide support to the students as needed.
Numerous other Afterschool enrichment programs are also available for an additional fee. The class lineup changes throughout the year, offering children the opportunity to participate in such activities as art, cooking, chess, Spanish, science, martial arts, and sports.
In addition, Afterschool faculty is providing optional themed activities at no additional fee. This schedule is as follows:
Monday: DIY Recycle Art Day
Tuesday: Artist of the Week Inspired Art Day
Wednesday: Creative Writing Day
Thursday: Drama / Music Game Day
Friday: Cooking Day
• 3:00pm - 3:15pm – Sign in.
• 3:15pm – Afterschool Enrichment classes (paid) begin.
• 3:30pm – First snack is served.
• 3:30pm - 4:20pm – Free play outside (or inside in the Community Room depending on the weather).
• 4:20pm – Student Job clean up.
• 4:35pm – Transition from Yard to Community Room.
• 4:40pm – Free Afterschool activity of the day begins.
• 5:00pm – Second snack is served.
• 5:00pm - 5:45pm – Free play.
• 5:45pm – Clean up, pack up, individual activity or silent activity until pick up.
• 6:00pm – End of Afterschool.
If a child is in a paid enrichment class, the family will not be charged any additional Afterschool fee for the hour the child is in that class.
Otherwise, Afterschool fees are assessed as follows:
3:15pm - 4:00pm – 1 hour
4:01pm - 5:00pm – 1 hour
5:01pm - 6:00pm – 1 hour
Families are charged $25 for every 15 minutes after 6:00pm.